What's new
  • You are currently not logged in! You will have to create an account or login in order to participate on our forums.

Community Poll on Infrastructure Teams

Should all three Infrastructure teams be merged into one global team?

• Yes, I agree with merging the teams.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • No, I do not agree with merging the teams.

Votes: 122 68.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Going to be a big disagree from me.

Making this a position that gives anyone those powers would discourage people from joining the team given the added responsibilities. Additionally, if existing infrastructure team members were grandfathered in, there could be some serious concerns associated with that. The diversity of the team is what draws certain people to them since the ability to "specialize" in one department is what they actually want to do.

You would be merging departments which, speaking from experience, is not a fun time to gain questionable results.

Waffles

Ex-AS | Ex-ROVS | Ex-HROVS
I do not agree with merging the teams and the biggest reason is quite frankly most people don't want to moderate all three.

Not everyone uses our community discord, not everyone who applies for TeamSpeak mod wants to constantly post on the forums. If you're going to globalize it people currently in infrastructure would just stick to their pre-existing platforms.

If you're forcing someone to moderate everything, a majority of them aren't going to want to, that's why they haven't applied to the other teams, and if you make it to where someone can "focus" on a certain platform, then what's the point in merging the teams in the first place?

Also, probably gonna have to have the scuffed 3-manager trio for the first bit or cuck some of the pre-existing managers, unless we overhall about 98% of the teams, score system, how each rank works, entire process in this merge.

I still disagree with this to this day, it adds more onto a staff members duties and could burn them flat out if they are in the other teams like recruitment or and such. Not really needed and everyone has their expertise in different platforms.

Not to be that guy, but I find it strange that the executives behind the department have to give a public opinion on something as large as this. I know it's just an opinion poll and it isn't that deep, but I feel like conversations behind closed doors with those in charge would have prevented a post like this from even being created. It's a shot in the dark because who knows, maybe you guys did discuss it, but with the overwhelming negative opinion that has been shown and the opinions of those with the authority to make change, I sincerely doubt it considering that conversations like that have been had in the past with both myself and other executives and directors and have avoided posts like these being made.

Jenka

Clone wars Doggo
-1 How the fuck could anyone think this is a semi-good idea. If you join Teamspeak mod it doesn't mean you want to mod Discord too. I really hope the exec team didn't sit down and have a genuine discussion about this and someone say I wOnDeR wHaT tHe CoMmUnItY tHiNkS aBoUt ThIs AmAzINg IdEa.

SteamID64
Idk why there's always this thinking of merging things will somehow make it better. It might have a few positives but just like other merges that have happened, it just hurts the everyday member of the server. I haven't been in these teams personally but they seem to be working fine as is. I wouldn't fix something that doesn't need to be fixed. -1

Cross™

🌹
SteamID64
Going to be a big disagree from me.

Making this a position that gives anyone those powers would discourage people from joining the team given the added responsibilities. Additionally, if existing infrastructure team members were grandfathered in, there could be some serious concerns associated with that. The diversity of the team is what draws certain people to them since the ability to "specialize" in one department is what they actually want to do.

You would be merging departments which, speaking from experience, is not a fun time to gain questionable results.
All I can think about when internally debating this proposal is Bustdown, although he never got into the TeamSpeak Moderation team, he was a Support Supervisor which many of the people who were in that position in the team moved into the TeamSpeak Moderation Team so I’m going to look at that position as if it was TeamSpeak Moderator. I’m not saying I don’t trust anyone who is within the teams now to uphold the expectations of the team if this was pushed through, but for say if someone who had similar personality traits or a hidden agenda like Bustdown was to get in the team they would have complete access to screw over the Network on a huge scale. I think having the separation of powers over different infrastructure teams a comforting and tactful practice for the longevity of the Network. (Hell it’s been that way since these teams were established, to my knowledge.) It ensures that powers are separated, with the current establishment, between those teams so that security can be upheld which in my perspective is the sole purpose for these teams within Icefuse. Obviously, I see the appeal of streamlining the process. Streamlining or simplifying a process is a practice I’ve utilized within my commander terms in the USMC, it allows those who oversee the everyday procedures are done to standard, but I just don’t think it’s a safe move, maybe with more thought and potentially a harder interview process, which I personally would not be for because it’s already extremely difficult to make it into the infrastructure teams, it could be maintained and implemented well. That’s my two cents obviously people are going to disagree with me on this but when thinking about Icefuse not just now but for the future I’m uncertain of how this would play out, but I will say I appreciate @Triax for always looking for ways to potentially improve the projects and teams he oversees and I appreciate that community input is being taken.

I hope you all are doing well,
Cross Adonis

Zisk

Upper Rank Three
IRP Senior Mod
There's so many different aspects to this community, all with different needs. I'm overall not a fan of any of the globalization that's been happening, especially with the Infrastructure teams. While I was Forum Manager, I hardly touched the Discord but was extremely active on the forums, by no means do I think they should be merged.

I think the major issue with this is the motive to do work in the other teams. If someone only wants to join the Forum Moderator team and are forced to be a part of the other two, why would they put any work into those other two?

Another side, which has been mentioned already, is some people live on the forums and aren't as active on Teamspeak. This would mean someone unknown, and perhaps unqualified would be granted a position of power when they may not know how to use it properly.

Snazz

Where's my update?
SteamID64
All I can think about when internally debating this proposal is Bustdown, although he never got into the TeamSpeak Moderation team, he was a Support Supervisor which many of the people who were in that position in the team moved into the TeamSpeak Moderation Team so I’m going to look at that position as if it was TeamSpeak Moderator.
Lmfao I am expecting Triax to just quote this, saying "Fuck your right" and close the thread.
But for real that is a really solid point. Especially when the perms on some of these teams range from Discord mutes to 6 month TS bans.

Pharix

Mumbling Brit
SteamID64
I agree. They also tried to do this in like 2018/2019. Where you had to join Forum Moderator first then you'd be handpicked into the TeamSpeak Moderation team. That system was removed because nobody liked it.
You know what also gets removed, people evading their Bans. Bye XYZ, thanks for continuing to make it obvious.

Last edited:
-1 i do need see any reason as to why this could work, i mean some people will maybe be good at handling all teams but what would be the point, instead just let them apply for the positions they want to go for instead of having all of them be pushed into handling and taking care of things they have no knowledge off. I like to sit on the forums and check everything out, i dont like looking through discord all the time so i wouldnt like to join if i would have to do all 3 platforms.

Kubulaaa

doing what I want, how I want
-1 for this reason.
As someone in all three teams, there are very different dynamics and honestly appeal to each team. Just because Snazzy is in all of them doesn't mean everyone who wants to test the infrastructure waters would want to be. I think in the end this would be certified not cash money.

-1 It wouldn’t make sense to merge them if people are applying to specific areas of the network to moderate, not everyone wants to moderate everything at the same time. People should be able to choose this on their own

There's a reason I'm part of the Forum and Teamspeak team but no way would I be attracted to the Discord team

-1 They sign up for discord mod cause they wanna be discord mod and etc Some people don't like the other sides I like it the way it is if they wanna moderate the forums they'll apply for forum mod
-1 This guys a staff main and knows what he is talking about

As I told you like eight months ago, this is a fundamentally bad idea. If this is meant to make things easier for you and the infrastructure department in terms of permissions and management, that isn't a good enough reason. Specialization exists for people to do what they want, even if you argue that people can choose to do what they please in a giga team, it isn't the same. Knowledgeable people on a subject should be separated and given the responsibility to handle that subject and that subject alone.
Why aren't you running the community!? Giga Brain.

Markov

rip bozo
We’ve already globalized too many things. Infrastructure would not work if people were forced to balance between all three, especially when they don’t want to do one of them.